Inspections ensure the integrity of equipment and components in any industry, maintaining quality, safety and reliability.
We support inspection teams with additional resources: a complete metallurgical laboratory, in-situ metallography and metallurgical expertise. With these services, your inspection can integrate root cause failure analysis, material testing and material knowledge.
Field metallography is a non-destructive technology that evaluates a component’s material condition in place. Assessing the material structure of components at accessible locations on-site, this method provides details without destruction so you retain serviceability and the option for crack repair.
This method of analysis can support inspection in the following applications:
- Plant shutdown inspection
- Assessing for thermal degradation of boiler tubes, reactor shells and other parts which experience life-limiting service degradation
- Irregular NDT indications examination
- Identifying details regarding crack formation and condition of surrounding material
- Boiler/reactor failure damage assessment
- Determining essential information to ensure applied repairs remove damaged materials
The tool you need for repair decisions.
After NDT inspection alerts you to the presence of cracks, knowing the cause and extent of damage is essential for making appropriate repair decisions. Using lab-based equipment, we perform metallurgical analysis to provide details of damage not visibly apparent. These results can explain how and why irregular cracks had formed.
Steel Image can help:
- Prove the damage mechanism
- Identify relevant environmental/loading factors
- Assess if a material condition had contributed to failure
In combination with inspections findings, our analysis results can help you develop a comprehensive understanding of the damage so you can develop strategies to resolve the issue.
If inspectors are constantly looking for cracks, shouldn’t they learn how to interpret them too?
Well they can. We can teach them.